Biology - Environmental Science Concentration
Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Science
|The major in biology prepares students for several different career options. Students may gain admittance to medical, dental or veterinary school, pursue graduate study or seek employment in research or industry.|
Those preparing to teach biology in secondary schools should complete courses in a biology concentration in conjunction with education licensure requirements within Lake Erie College's education department. The courses in the biology major provide students with a broad background in biology and chemistry, opportunities for elective courses and a culminating independent research project during the senior year.
Biology students should seek advice from the pre-professional advisors to insure that course selections will be appropriate for admission to the graduate or professional schools of their choice. Additional chemistry, mathematics and physics coursework may be required for admission to graduate or professional programs.
Environmental Science Concentration
Requirements for this Major:
Requirement for Major 33 semester credits including:
- BI 101 Introductory Biology I (3 SH)
- BI 101L Introductory Biology I Lab (1 SH)
- BI 102 Introductory Biology II (3 SH)
- BI 102L Introductory Biology II Lab (1 SH)
- BI 201 Botany (3 SH)
- BI 201L Botany Lab (1 SH)
- BI 212 Zoology (3 SH)
- BI 212L Zoology Lab (1 SH)
- BI 330 Evolutionary Biology (3 SH)
- CH 103 General Chemistry I (3 SH)
- CH 103L General Chemistry I Lab (1 SH)
- CH 104 General Chemistry II (3 SH)
- CH 104L General Chemistry II Lab (1 SH)
- MT 207 Probability and Statistics (4 SH)
- BI 490 Biology Senior Capstone (2 SH)
Note: MT 207 registration requires completion of MT 109 with a grade of "C" or higher.
Note: PC 201, PC 202, MT 210 and MT 211 are recommended for students anticipating applying to graduate programs in biology and/or environmental science.
Requirement for Concentration
25-28 semester credits including:
- BI 104 Introduction to Environmental Science (4 SH)
- BI 319 Ecology & Conservation Biology (3 SH)
- BI 225 Environmental Management (3 SH)
- BI 231 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (3 SH)
- BI 241 Ecotoxicology (3 SH)
- BI 350 Internship in Biology (2-4 SH)
- PC 220 Physical Geology (3 SH)
- PC 220L Physical Geology Lab (1 SH)
Note: There may be specific credit hour requirements for Internships. Students should review requirements with their academic advisor.
One BI designation 200 or 300 level course (3-4 SH)