Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Science
|The phenomenal growth and development of the sport industry world-wide has created opportunities for young business professionals in a wide variety of sport organizations.|
The major in sport management is designed to address the unique elements of sports in the business landscape while providing students with an exceptional foundation in general business skills that will serve them throughout their professional lives. Building on a set of core business courses, the major covers all aspects of sport management – including sport marketing and communications, facility and operations management, international sport administration , events and promotion, legal issues and the psychology and sociology of sport.
The sport management internship enables students to integrate and apply their learning while opening the door to potential career opportunities in the sport industry. The major also offers excellent preparation for further study at the graduate or professional school level. The sport management major prepares students for exciting careers in athletic and recreation administration, the fitness and wellness industry, college and professional sports, the management of commercial and non-profit sport facilities, event planning and promotion and retail marketing.
The sport management program is an interdisciplinary program designed to prepare students to blend general management skills with the specific demands of managing sports organizations. Built on a foundation of business specific courses, the sport management curriculum provides students with an in-depth understanding of the role that sports plays in society and the role of management in sports on a domestic and global level.
Requirements for this Major:
64 semester credits including:
- AC 101 Accounting Principles I (4 SH)
- EC 200 Principles of Economics (4 SH)
- MN 200 Introduction to Management (4 SH)
- MN 215 Business Statistics (4 SH)
- MN 323 Organizational Behavior (4 SH)
- FN 320 Corporation Finance (4 SH)
- SA 101 Introduction to Sport Management (4 SH)
- SA 203 Sport Marketing and Communications (4 SH)
- SA 204 Sports Communication (4 SH)
- SA 205 Sports Facility Planning, Operations and Management (4 SH)
- SA 206 Evaluation and Methodology Procedures in Sport and Social Sciences (4 SH)
- SA 311 Sports Events, Promotion and Sales Management (4 SH)
- SA 315 Legal Issues in Sports (4 SH)
- SA 320 Leadership in Sports (4 SH)
- SA 328 International Sport Administration (4 SH)
- SA 490 Sport Policy Development (4 SH)
- SA 250/350 Internship in Sport Management (1-5 SH)
Note: There may be specific credit hour requirements for Internships. Students should review requirements with their academic advisor.