Lake Erie College History 1900's | Lake Erie College

Early 1900s

Sep 20, 1901 U.S. President McKinley was buried the same day the College opened for fall term.

Oct 1903 Mountain Day was observed each year and in 1903, Charles Avery, the last of the original founders, spoke.

Jun 15, 1904 A Tiffany window, "Angel of Resurrection," was dedicated in Memorial Hall at the time of the 45th Commencement.

Oct 28, 1908 Murray Library was dedicated.

Oct 27, 1910 Vivian B. Small was inaugurated as president.

Oct 27, 1910 Mary F. Storrs gave a Tiffany window to Memorial Hall in memory of her classmates.

May 1915 Former U.S. President Taft stopped at Lake Erie College to speak to the students.

May 14, 1914 Lake Erie women broke world records in various field events.

Nov 11, 1918 An impromptu parade of 200 Lake Erie women celebrated the surrender of Germany.

Feb 7, 1919 Harrington House, the faculty residence, was destroyed by fire at 1:30 am.

Apr 18, 1919 Dawn Powell of the class of 1918 was a second class yeomanette in the Navy.

Jun 18, 1919 The 60th Commencement was held.

Dec 11, 1920 The gymnasium was dedicated and it included a swimming pool and bowling alleys with a total cost of $176,000.

Mar 19, 1921 The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra gave a concert at the College.

Jun 1921 The College denied rumors of a scarlet fever epidemic sweeping campus when only two women had minor cases.

Jun 4, 1921 The first swim meet was held in the new pool.

Nov 11, 1921 Miss Mary Evans, president emeritus, passed away.

Oct 24, 1922 The College opened its drive for $1,000,000 under the guidance of James R. Garfield, president of the board of trustees.
Sep 22, 1923 The College rented the King residence as extra dormitory space.

Nov 8, 1924 The Wilcox homestead was left to the College in memory of Aaron Wilcox, one of the founders of Lake Erie.

Dec 3, 1926 Famous arctic explorer Donald MacMillan lectured on campus.

Jan 28, 1927 The cornerstone for Morley Music Hall was laid.

Dec 12, 1927 Helen Rockwell Morley Memorial Music Building was dedicated and opened as a gift of Charles Rockwell Morley in memory of his mother. The Skinner organ was the largest in the state of Ohio and cost $50,600.

Oct 12, 1928 A club for the election of Herbert Hoover as U.S. president was established at the College.