How to Donate a Horse
The Lake Erie College Equestrian Program relies on the generous donation of horses by trainers and owners. We accept horses from the walk-trot-canter level through advanced dressage, hunters, jumpers and eventing. We are in need of horses that are fit and sound enough to be ridden in our program a minimum of one hour per day, five days per week. Horses do not work more than two hours in a day with time off between classes.Donation Process
- Fill out Donation Prospect Fact Sheet and either
- E-mail to Cami Harkless Blanchard at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to 440.375.8004
- Mail to: Lake Erie College, Equestrian Center, 391 W. Washington St. Painesville OH, 44077
- The Donation Prospect Fact Sheet is reviewed by the Executive Director of Riding & Performance and the Director of Horse Care.
- In most cases, we will request a video of your horse up loaded to YouTube before bringing it in on a three-week trial period. This will help us better assess the horse for the program and keep the shipping costs to a minimum for the donor. After reviewing the information and/or video, Cami Harkless Blanchard, the Director of Horse care will notify the donor about the suitability of the donation.
- If we feel your horse is appropriate for our program, you will receive a Donation Trial Contract from Cami Harkless Blanchard.
- When the Donation Trial Contract is returned to the college, Cami Harkless Blanchard, Director of Horse Care will contact the donor to schedule an arrival date for the horse.
- When the horse arrives at our facility for the trial period, the instructors will evaluate the horse and have a pre-purchase exam performed.
- During the trial period the horse will be used in the riding program to ensure compatibility.
- By the end of the three-week trial period, the Director of Horse Care will contact you to inform you if your horse has been approved for the program. If the horse is not approved for acceptance into the program, the owner will have seven (7) days to pick up the horse after notification by Director of Horse Care.
For trial period Lake Erie College must have:
- Signed Donation
- Including medical documentation (Coggins, Vaccinations, Date of last deworming) and Shoeing
- Current supplements must be provided for trial period
- Special equipment as requested by donor
- Health certificate may be required
Upon Acceptance donor will receive:
- Application for Gift to Lake Erie College
- IRS Form 8283. Completion of this form should be done with the advice of your tax advisor
Upon Acceptance the donor should return the following to Lake Erie College:
- Completed Application for Gift to Lake Erie College
- Completed IRS Form 8283
- Registration papers ( if applicable) signed over to Lake Erie College
- Previous USEF or FEI show record and USEF, USHJA, or USDF registration number (if applicable)
- Passport (if applicable)